The Dr. Reed Pyeritz and Ms. Jane Tumpson Marfan Conference Physician Travel Scholarship was established by Dr. Reed Pyeritz, a renowned geneticist and one of the founders of The Marfan Foundation, and his wife, Ms. Jane Tumpson. This award was established to provide travel support to young physicians to encourage them to attend The Marfan Foundation’s health fair and patient conference. The recipient will receive up to $1,250 in travel and lodging expenses in addition to a complimentary conference registration.
Scholarship applicants must meet all criteria outlined below. Award determinations will be based on evaluation of applications by a review committee from The Marfan Foundation Professional Advisory Board.
The Marfan Foundation Annual Conference Health Fair provides an opportunity to meet and work alongside the most prestigious experts in the field of Marfan syndrome and related conditions. The awardee can observe multiple patient evaluations in a single day. These patients usually do not have access to experts in the field for varying reasons and may be in need of a differential diagnosis or management advice. The awardee will have an opportunity to consult with geneticists, cardiologists, surgeons, orthopedists, and numerous other specialists who are on-site at the health fair. In addition, the awardee is invited to attend the clinical review session that day, a unique opportunity to hear a discussion of cases from the health fair or other clinical sites.
Individuals who are not awarded this scholarship may register to attend the health fair and participate as well.
Scholarship Award Highlights
- Free conference registration
- Round trip economy class airline tickets
- Hotel accommodations for up to 4 days/3 nights
- Additional food and parking costs
- Applicant must be a have a MD, DO, DDS, or equivalent degree.
- Applicant must be a board-eligible or board-certified physician.
- Applicant must be a resident or fellow interested in the connective tissue field with special interest in genetics, cardiology, orthopedics, ophthalmology, or cardiothoracic surgery.
- Applicant may be a US or internationally based practitioner.
Scholarship recipients must submit a final report summarizing their learnings and experience at the Health Fair.
Gather Required Documents
It is recommended that you prepare the following required documents in advance of starting your application:
- Personal statement – Describe your research interests, career ambitions, what you hope to gain from attending and how attending the conference and health fair will influence your training and development. In addition, describe your exposure to the field that has sparked your interest to explore this field more in depth.
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter of support – Provide a letter from a mentor who can describe how you will continue to be supported in your career in academic medicine.
Application and Deadlines
If you are eligible to apply for a physician travel scholarship, you will need to submit an on-line application and upload your documents. All application materials must be submitted through the online system.
The deadline for applications is April 29, 2022.
A Physician Travel Scholarship Review Committee from The Marfan Foundation Professional Advisory Board will review the applications and select awardees. The 2022 scholarship recipients will be announced on May 16, 2022.